There is more to selling a home than placing a sign in the yard. Some homeowners choose to sell their homes on their own, rather than hire a real estate agent. One reason people elect to do a For Sale by Owner (more commonly known as FSBO), is to save money by not paying a commission. It sounds like a good idea; however, it doesn’t always work out as planned.
There are different reasons one should hire a professional REALTOR®. The agent will create a marketing plan to sell your home. Professionals know how to promote properties through the Multiple Listing Service, their individual website, as well as other measures.
In real estate, as in other businesses, time is very important. Some homeowners lack that with their busy lifestyles. You do not want to miss the opportunity to sell your home because you were unable to meet a potential buyer. Plus, the agent can meet with the other parties involved in the sale, i.e., appraiser, inspectors.
Also, REALTORS® have the experience in handling the necessary paperwork efficiently.
Next time you sell your property, hire a professional. You may actually save yourself some money.
Below are statistics from the 2010 National Association of REALTORS® Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers.:
- FSBOs accounted for 9% of home sales in 2010. The typical FSBO home sold for $140,000 compared to $199.300 for agent assisted home sales.
- Most Difficult Tasks for FSBO Sellers:
- Getting the right price. . . 23%
- Preparing/fixing up home for sale: 18%
- Selling within the planned length of time: 14%
- Having enough time to devote to all aspects of the sale: 13%
- Understanding and performing paperwork: 10%